Thursday, April 21, 2011

You know who.

Underneath a concrete sky, my darling, darling girl, I'd shield you from the hailing stones, from the fire and the burns. In the city jungle, scraping at the edge of reality and sanity...I'd hold you back from jumping, which is definitely the reason I have not jumped myself. But wouldn't you say I'm too caring? Wouldn't you say that's a little too sweet? Wouldn't you smack the backside of my head and tell me to fucking go home?
No, you wouldn't. You'd leave me outside for a second while you grabbed something to keep us safe, and then you'd make it your job to keep the demons off. You'd fight them unarmed and I'd be worthless, I'd be quivering and my hands would be shaking and my legs shaking and my head and my heart and my entire existence would tremble at the edge of breaking so easily... And you'd step back, having killed them, but they'd be back and someone would need to kill them again otherwise they might kill me. Or worse. They might kill you.
And yet you wouldn't leave me. If the world was ending, if it was all my fault, ....but wait. You left. You're gone. 

You're gone and everything has changed and everyone. 
You're gone and I'm still here, suffering beneath the sky of...something. I wouldn't know. I'm looking down. I wonder how far it is, I think. The fall. 
And my toes are over the edge and the wind is at my face and your hand is on my shoulder trying to keep me from jumping over... 

but what can you do from way over there?
You're gone and everything's different now. 
I might as well be dead. 

1 comment: