Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Preconditions....

Tease, tease, tease, tease... set in stone, the way we walk?
I already know what you're going to ask me, from one look. I already know what I'm going to answer. I see you.
I understand know everything that's going to happen between us, what relationship we'll have, how close we'll be, what I can tell you, what I can show you...
I hear you.
You're talking, words, syllables, pause... You're talking, the way you walk, the way you smile. The slight hesitation before you answer questions in class. The pause you take before you continue to speak; forced, because you talk too fast.
I know who it's okay to laugh with, who it's okay to talk to, who it's okay to insult. I know how you're going to take my words, which way you'll go about answering me, and if you care.
It's all obvious, to me.
Obvious and set in stone, the way I've planned my words slowly, the way I've carefully set them up. Building towers to hide in, dragons to guard me, and walls to knock down, if worse comes to worst.
And you're just playing into it.


So why don't you answer me properly? Why are you suddenly two steps back from where you're supposed to be? How'd you get behind me?
You're doing it all wrong, all wrong. Stop it.
It's all right, though. I'm sure you're just taking a breath, we'll catch up tomorrow. We'll fall back into step, playing our parts.

Only, no.
You're telling me that ...I can't even hear you. I don't even see you anymore. Where'd you go?
I miss you
I don't need you, though.

I'm okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment